Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Christmas is in the air


So this week we are starting our rehearsals for the Nutcraker . We do the Royal Swedish version, 
by Pär Isberg
  which is a little different from most, based on the Swedish story "Petter and Lotta's Christmas" by Elsa Beskow. Nutcracker with a twist, but it has it's party scene, it's dancing snowflakes, candy bars and snowmen (etc..) ,topped off with the Nutcracker grand pas, so a Christmas treat to be sure. The sounds of Tchaikovsky score playing throughout the day sure does get me into the Christmas spirit!!


I am playing the part of Aunt Lavender, one of Petter and Lotta's 3 aunts that look after them, (they're orphans of course !) and a snowflake (standard role for any rookie ballet dancer I believe). I have not yet rehearsed the aunts dance but will be sure to update when I have. Snowflakes on the other-hand I have had a few rehearsals. This is not your standard snowflakes, it comes with warnings. The first thing you hear when you join Vanemuine Ballet is, "oh, you just wait for snowflakes", it is a dance of stamina to say the least. With meticulous lines and precision and its fair share of allegro, it is one to get the blood pumping. Here's hoping I make it out alive !!

                                                               

                                             



No comments:

Post a Comment